Smashed broad beans with pecorino and lemon
Serves 4-6 as a starter or snack
This week we are loving these utterly delicious, bright and vibrant broad beans, the first week they’re coming from the UK! These kidney-shaped beans are not only scrumptiously sweet and nutty but are a good source of protein and high in vitamins A, B1 and B2. They also contain levodopa (L-dopa), a chemical the body uses to produce dopamine (the neurotransmitter associated with the brain’s reward and motivation system) which makes us feel good. So, get podding and enjoy!
- broad beans 300g, blanched and double-podded
- garlic ½ clove
- pecorino or vegetarian alternative 30g, plus extra to serve
- lemon ½ juiced
- extra-virgo olive oil 75ml
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- sourdough 6 slices, toasted
- pea shoots to garnish
- In a food processor blitz ¼ of the broad beans, garlic, pecorino, lemon juice with the olive oil to make a rough paste.
- Add the remaining broad beans and pulse a few times to leave it chunky.
- Season to taste with sea salt and pepper
- Drizzle the sourdough slices with olive oil and put under the grill to toast evenly on both sides.
- Cut the sourdough slices in half and spoon the smashed beans onto the toast, drizzle with olive oil and serve.