These make a great little starter when paired with your favourite dipping sauce or as a side to a main meal. We love making them in spring when we have fresh garlic and spinach in season.
Makes 20 bites or 10 full sized burgers
What you need:
- 500g potatoes; quartered and boiled
- 60ml milk
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 large red onion
- 300g Spinach, washed and chopped.
- 3 stalks of fresh garlic chopped or 3 cloves of dried garlic
- 100g grated parmesan
- 100g bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 250ml oil for frying
What to do:
- Combine potatoes and milk in a large mixing bowl; using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add chopped onions. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until translucent.
- Add spinach and garlic to onions in the skillet; season with salt and pepper and continue to cook for 2 more minutes, or until spinach is wilted.
- Add spinach mixture to the potatoes, then stir in the cheese and lemon juice.
- Add breadcrumbs and egg to potato and spinach mixture and stir until thoroughly combined and smooth, then shape the mixture into patties.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and working in batches, fry each patty on both sides until golden brown; about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer potato patties to a paper towel–lined plate. Serve with yoghurt, soy, sweet-chilli or your favourite dipping sauce.