Spoon this tasty rhubarb recipe over yoghurt or ice-cream ( adding crumbled ginger biscuits for some zingy crunch) or combine with a crumble topping and serve with custard for some real comfort food.
Enough for a crumble for 2-4 people or 6-8 servings with ice-cream
What you need:
- 700g Rhubarb
- Juice of 4 large oranges – we like to use blood oranges for a sweeter taste
- 4 tbsp honey ( Brightwell Bee’s runny honey works well)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 pods cardamom
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 vanilla pod with seeds scraped out and saved
- 1/2 inch ginger peeled and sliced
What to do:
- Heat oven to 200°c
- Chop rhubarb into inch long chunks.
- Mix honey, orange juice, vanilla seeds, salt, cardamom pods and star anise to make a light syrupy dressing.
- Put the chopped rhubarb, sliced ginger and vanilla pod in large baking tray and cover with the syrup mixture and mix well to ensure rhubarb is coated.
- Cook in oven for 14-16 mins, stirring occasionally and remove once rhubarb is soft.
- If planning to serve later pop into a sterilised jar or serve immediately with your favourite accompaniment.