When we saw this zesty twist on Hollandaise we just had to give it a go. It’s super tasty and uses one of our fave citrus fruits, it also goes fantastically with purple sprouting or, of course, asparagus. If you can’t get hold of blood oranges, regular juicing oranges work just as well.
Makes enough sauce for 4 portions
What you need:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 blood orange
- 250g unsalted butter, melted but not too hot, just warm
What to do:
- Place the egg yolks in a bowl. Zest the orange and stir this into the egg yolks. Set aside.
- Juice the blood orange into a saucepan. Reserve a teaspoon or two of the juice for later. Add a tablespoon of water to the pan and bring it to the boil, then pour the juice into the egg yolks and whisk rapidly until a foam develops.
- Pour the melted butter gradually and slowly into the egg yolks, whisking all the time, as if you were making mayonnaise. When all the butter has been added you should have a stable, foamy hollandaise. Check the seasoning and add a teaspoon or two of the reserved blood orange juice for freshness if desired.
- Serve with your favourite greens.
Recipe courtesy of Stephen Harris at The Telegraph