Swiss chard, is a vegetable rarely found in supermarkets but something we always aim to stock at each of our stops. Undisputedly one of the worlds most nutritious vegetables, it is an excellent source of vitamins K, A, and C, as well as a good source of magnesium, potassium, iron, and dietary fibre. One of the easiest and tastiest recipes we have come across is Sophie Dahl’s baked egg with swiss chard
What you need
- Butter for greasing
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 160g chopped red onions
- 75g chopped Swiss chard
- 2 eggs
- 110g crumbled goat’s cheese
What to do
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas mark 4.
2. Butter two large ramekins (or a large dish if you want to bake the eggs together). Heat the olive oil in a pan until hot. Add the onions and caramelize for about 10-15 minutes, being careful not to let them burn.
3. Mix the onions with the Swiss chard and divide between the ramekins. Break an egg into each ramekin carefully, so it sits on top of the Swiss chard/onion mixture. Bake in the bottom of the oven for 10 minutes.
4. Preheat the grill. Remove the ramekins from the oven, scatter the goat’s cheese on top and put under the grill until the cheese is bubbling.