What you need
- 500g of Spinach
- 2 Potatoes medium (I used our Milva as its a new variety to me)
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 2 Portobello Mushrooms
- 8 Eggs medium (FAI – where else!?)
- 100g of Gruyere cheese
- Splash of milk
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
What to do
- Put a colander inside a large pan, then roughly chop your spinach and sling it in the colander. Put the kettle on and pour boiling water over the spinach and cover for a few minutes, just to soften the leaves. Once the spinach has wilted uncover and rinse with cold water to stop it cooking any more. Squeeze any excess water out.
- Get yourself a large frying pan – it is a monster – ideally non-stick. Thinly slice your onion, potato, mushroom and garlic. Put all of these in the frying pan with a glug of olive oil. Cook for between 10-15 minutes stirring regularly or until all the potato is soft. Whilst the onion and potato are cooking, grate your cheese into a mixing bowl add your eggs with a splash of milk, salt and pepper and give it a good whisk. I’m a fiend with the pepper so always add loads.
- Once the potato is cooked take it off the heat, mix in the spinach and pour you eggs all over. Plonk the frying pan back on the heat. At this point you’ll want to turn the grill on. Once the eggs have cooked through at the sides – and the omelette can slide in the pan a little – stick it under the grill to cook it through.
- I reckon you can get 4-6 portions out of this one omelette, depending on how hungry you are and it goes with just about anything. It also makes a great andeasy lunch option!