, deliciously rich and a healthier alternative to the potato variety. You can use any leafy green veg in this recipe try curly kale, cavolo nero, chard or cabbage/broccoli/cabbage leaves.
You can prepare a lot in advance for a weeks worth of nibbles, just store them in a plastic bag for a few days. If they start to re-hydrate, you can always pop them back into the oven for a minute or two to dry them out again.
What you need
- Kale or other green leafy veg – try curly, cavolo nero, Red Russian, or cabbage/broccoli/cabbage leaves
- Olive Oil (or Avocado Oil)
- Optional flavours: garlic powder, fresh ground pepper, garam masala, fresh tarragon leaves, chives, etc…
What to do
- Preheat an oven to 175 degrees C
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or aluminium foil
- Wash & dry greens, then with a knife or by hand carefully remove thick stems and stringy bits from the leaves
- In a large bowl, drizzle a small amount of olive oil and toss gently until the leaves are lightly coated. Sprinkle with salt and any other toppings.
- Spread the leaves on the cookie sheet – they should be 1 layer thick. Do not pile them up on top of each other or they wont crisp evenly.
- Place in oven for approximately 6-7 minutes, watching carefully during that last minute – they go from Perfectly Crisp to Burnt Brown in seconds. They may need to go back into the oven for another minute or so.
- Remove from oven and tip gently into a bowl or platter.
Thanks to Ellen Burnett for the recipe!