Recipe based on one from Martha Stewart
What you need
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 0.5kg Potatoes (floury)
- Salt and pepper
- Grated Asiago cheese, or similar (can use Parmesan or Romano but both sharper)
- 240ml double cream
What to do
- Preheat oven to 200C. Lightly butter a baking dish.
- Halve and core the fennel. Slice fennel and potatoes into thin slices.
- Add potatoes to dish in layers, alternating with layers of fennel. Season each layer with salt and pepper, sprinkle with cheese, and dot with small amounts of butter. Don’t put cheese on the final layer, at the top.
- Pour cream over top. Bake until potatoes are tender when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, 30-45 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining grated cheese and bake until golden brown (15 to 20 minutes).