Viv and Steve who make the delicious Brightwell Bees honey we stock on board the VegVan have sent us this recipe, along with a bag of Jerusalem artichokes from their garden! We also like roasting artichokes in the oven until they’re caramelised and chewy.
What you need:
- 500g artichokes – can use parsnips mixed in as well
- Salt & pepper
- 200 ml single cream or make a béchamel sauce
- 75g parmesan or gruyere, grated
- 1 or 2 cloves crushed garlic
- A little butter
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 180. Scrub artichokes well, cut into thin slices. Peel and cut parsnips into thin slices if using.
- Drop into a large pan of boiling water and simmer for 2-3 minutes, then drain.
- Butter an ovenproof dish and layer the bottom with half the artichoke and parsnip slices, season and pour over a little cream then dot with a little butter and garlic, then sprinkle over half the cheese.
- Add the rest of the sliced artichokes and parsnips, seasoning, garlic and remaining cream. Top with the rest of the cheese and dot with a little butter.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes, or until tender.